Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Pepperoncini - Part Two!


I canned my first batch of pepperoncini peppers!  Woo hoo!  I have two small precarious looking pint jars full of pepperoncini goodness.  Following advice of Walnut Spinney I soaked my peppers in salt water over night, about 14 hours.  I rinsed the peppers and set them aside.  I then prepared the brine and a processing pot.  For 2 pints of peppers I used:


2 pint mason jars with lids and rings for sealing
lots of pepperoncini peppers
2 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 cups of apple cider vinegar
one clove of garlic
1/2 cups of water

brine (left) and processing pot (right)
I let the entire mixture simmer for 10 minutes.   I then cut the clove in half and place a piece in each pint jar.  I then clean the rims, pour the brine, put on the hot sealing lid and ring, screw on the ring tight and place the jar in the processing pot.  The processing pot is a pot of boiling water which the jars sit in.  I have read many different reasons for why the water should cover the jars and why only half should be submerged.


I was taught that a third of the jar should be submerged into the water for processing so I followed those very directions.  I also poured hot boiling water over the tops of the jars every couple of minutes too.  I just used the water in the pot and a ladle.  After ten minutes I removed the jars and let them sit until each jar sealed.  Sealing should occur a few hours after processing.  I labeled the jars and placed them in the cupboard.  Now the hard part.... waiting a few months for them to turn into yummy goodness.




No comments:

Post a Comment