Sunday, July 10, 2011

Catnip tea


I have been growing catnip for the past two years however, I have not been able to harvest any catnip.  The minute I brought the catnip plant home my cats, and even my dog, eat at the leaves and climb into the pot.  The plant is now very small and barely produces big leaves.  To see the effects that catnip has on cats and dogs visit http://wanderingchewy.blogspot.com/2011/07/catnip-is-just-for-cats.html.

At the beginning of the season I bought three catnip plants and have kept them under lock and key.  The plants are protected by a white metal cage.  I occasionally leave the cage off  but after a few minutes the cat will have his face in the plant.  I seriously think my cat would eat an entire catnip plants in one seating.  No joke.



With this new batch of catnip I have decided to make Catnip tea.  I have found that catnip tea is good for relaxation in the muscles and body.  I have read that catnip tea can help you fall asleep.  I enjoy Chamomile's taste and fragrance as a sleeping remedy and will look forward to drinking Catnip tea while relaxing on a cool fall evening and cold winter's night.

I will be drying the leaves and storing them in an airtight container.  When making the tea, add boiling water to the dried catnip leaves.  Allow the water and leaves the steep for 5-7 minutes.  You can start with 1 tsp. of Catnip for every 8 oz. of water.  I prefer a stronger catnip flavor (2-3 tsp.) and often sweeten the tea with honey or condensed milk.  I use condensed milk if I want a more sinfully richer taste.  With just a few leaves, boiled water and sweetener you can turn any cat treat into a fresh brew of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment