Saturday, July 16, 2011

May the bounty flow!



I went out to water and check on the victory garden and came back with a basket full of vegetables.  I started my harvest by picking the radish.  The radish taste very crisp and are very mild.  Great addition in salads or as a side dish when eating lunch or dinner.  I also picked a few four-inch cucumbers and two six-inchers.  These will also be salad and side dish items on the table.  I have also seen family members put the cucumbers in soups and omelets.  The squash and zucchini produced a good amount of fruit this week.  These harvests are great and I am looking forward to the upcoming weeks. 

The beans produced a good amount of long thick beans.  All of the mature beans were picked along with the bell peppers and pepper and herb plants.  I have my sage hanging upside down.  Once the leaves are dry and brittle I will place them in a container for use during the winter.  Mmmmm!  I can see big plates of spaghetti and hot bowls of soup and stews in my future.

I am also happy to report the eggplants are doing very well.  After being a victim to Mooch's mood swings on catnip and freezing under the summer cold-filled nights, I thought the plants would not make it.  Fortunately they plants pulled through and are now producing fruit!  Grilled veggies have never tasted so good until you add grilled eggplant to the mix.  Nom nom!

Victory Garden Alert!  Victory Garden Alert!  CSI has stated that the two hairs found at the last bean robber crime scene are from the felidae and canidae families.  The felid is none other than Mooch the catnip pimp.  CSI reports that Mooch's DNA was a match to the DNA found in one of the hairs.  The second hair found is not in the DNA database.  Additionally, a foot print was found at the latest crime scene.  CSI reports that the print does not match Mooch and he is no longer a suspect.  Authorities have installed surveillance cameras throughout the garden in hopes of capturing the bean robber on camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment