Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Radish, space saver or garden art

The radish are here!  These fast growing Sparkler radish are the first vegetable to be harvest from the garden beds.  The are big, round, and red! The leaves are tender and can be used in soup too.

Sparkler radish
I like to plant radish seeds in between larger plants.  This is very helpful when your transplants are small.  I have recently transplanted tomatoes, eggplant, and bell peppers into the victory garden.  I give the transplants a few days to settle into the garden beds. I plant radish seeds in between the rows of plants.  This not only saves space but also give the garden beds a bit of visual aesthetics. You can call it garden art or space saving.  Either way, it works for me.

beet seedlings
You may use beets, carrots, lettuce, and pak choi, among others types of quick or slow growing veggies to decorate your garden and feed your tummy.  I personally love the rich bloody color of beets.  Even the stems and leafs are unique in color and texture.

volunteer beet from 2011 season
Beets are not a favorite in my house so I have turned to radish as my paint brush for the victory garden.  I chose to plant more varieties of radish this season because my family eats, pickles, and cans radish.

2011 season Minowase radish
Plus, I am the type of farmer who loves to find, pick and plant crops.  Most items in the garden take a few months to grow.  But radish have a fast life cycle.  You can grow a radish from seed in a month.  I decided to buy a variety of radish seeds to help plant color into the victory garden.  To make things interesting, I placed all of the seeds into a bowl and mixed them up.  When planting rows of radish, I just pull from the bowl of mixed seeds.  This will give me a variety of radishes while allowing for a mix of color to shine when the radish tops peak out of the soil.


Radish mix: Cherry belle, Sparkler, and Champion
Radish planted for pickling: Icicle (short top) and Minowase

No comments:

Post a Comment