Friday, June 3, 2011

Rain, rain, go away... come again another day...

Juliet tomato is producing :)
Winter weather in late May and early June?!?  The cold wet weather has yet again proven to be good and bad for the victory garden.  The asparagus beans are struggling to keep their leaves warm.  I am not sure how many will make it.  The green beans and corn are growing but I have only seen a few sprouts from my re-seeding efforts a few weeks ago.  I have seen a handful of flowers blossom and a few items of fruit but I have also found wilted and fallen leaves.  I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope that the cold weather and severe weather warning in my area passes soon.

Yellow Squash
On a positive note, I have taken advantage of the cool weather and finished a major part of the landscaping.  The first step was completing the retaining wall.  The second step is to lay the cobble stones between the wall and the west side of the grass.  I have laid the stones and will lay a bit of sod to fill in the 2-3 inch dirt gap between the grass and the stones.  In addition, the lettuce has undergone two harvests!  There are still lots of leaves to pick and eat.  The strawberry patch is doing fantastic but we had a battle with the vicious prodigious coils of the gastropods.  The ongoing battled with these immense creatures has been tough but so far the score reads, Morrison Victory Garden 3: Gastropods 0.  First, the basil  has doubled in size and second the banana pepper plant is producing peppers.  I am happy to report that the strawberries have come out victorious from an invasion of the gastropods too.  The garden is coming along but I cannot wait to see the growth of the corn, tomatoes and watermelon in the hot summer sun.

Lettuce Row

No comments:

Post a Comment