Sunday, May 22, 2011

Rain and cold is good :) and bad :(

The rain brought lots of water to the garden this past week.  The seedlings have grown tremendously.  I noticed that a few seedlings did not grow and reseeded about 15 corn, 10 green beans and 4 asparagus beans.  I was also very pleased with how most of the garden held up to the rain.  The cold, unfortunately, hurt two asparagus bean and three green bean seedlings.  They look really sad with their shriveled leaves.  If they do not make it then I will be reseeding again in the next few days.

NEW ADDITIONS!
Soybean
There are five new additions to the Morrison Victory Garden!  First, I planted three zucchini plants.  They are looking very good after the transplanting process.  The zucchini is located in the main garden at the south end of the middle row of corn.  I also planted three watermelon plants.  I have not grown watermelon before and I am very excited to see how many melons I am able to harvest.  The watermelon is located at the northwestern corner of the main garden.  There are two new herbs in north side of the lawn.  First we have Queen Siam Basil, also known as Thai Basil, which is planted next to the sweet basil.  Second, I planted curly parsley between the basils and the Juliet tomato plant.  Now for my absolute favorite addition: Soybeans!  Yes, you are reading this correctly.  I found two beautiful soybean plants at the nursery today.  I eat soybeans on a daily basis and I cannot wait to see how they grow and taste my very own homegrown soybeans.  Keep a look out for my very own Morrison Soy Milk on store shelves soon... just kidding!

Watermelon
Zucchini
Thai Basil and Parsley
WHAT'S ROCKIN'!
Corn
The lettuce is just about ready to harvest.  The arugula and musclin mix have grown in nicely and I am already thinking about what to plant next after the lettuce harvest is complete.  The rain did a tomato plant good!  The plant has doubled in size and had many flowers ready to bear fruit.  The squash leaves are ginormous!  Out of the three plants two have really taken off.  The third plant is struggling in the shadow of it's two siblings but I think the little guy will pull through.  Lastly, the corn is doing great!  The seedlings are almost full grown plants and will soon shoot up straight to the sky.


Squash w/ Bitter melon
Lettuce

Tomato



 INTRUDER ALERT... INTRUDER ALERT...

The gastropods have retreated to the far west.  Four large gastropod warriors were fought and sent to their doom this afternoon.  The war is on-going but hopefully the garden will come out victorious!

The Morrison Victory Garden is home to many animals.  Every once in a while you can find a quick cameo of each inhabitant.  There was a visitor tonight that left some foot prints in the garden after I watered.  They were left by the lion of the victory garden.  His name is Mooch.

No comments:

Post a Comment