Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Onions and herbs. A tasty addition to any meal.

We have onions! This is the first time I have planted and harvested onions. They took a really long time to grow but were worth the wait.

skinny (1/8 inch diameter) onions - Sept 2012
March 30 - big plump (2 inch diameter) onions
I harvested over two dozen yellow onions and a dozen red onions. Once cleaned, the onions will be sliced, diced, and cooked to perfection. They will taste good in stirfry, soups, omelets, casseroles, salads, and many other dishes.

Sage is overflowing in the garden bed
The MVG herbs are blooming in the cool sunny spring weather. The smell of sage, rosemary, and oregano has filled the air and will soon season our veggies with yummy goodness.

Oregano
Rosemary
Thyme
Last spring, I added a thyme plant to the herb garden. The little plant survived the cold winter weather and is starting to spread its long slender limbs. I am hoping the plant will be ready to harvest before the end of summer. I cannot wait to make and taste Summer Thyme Bread, Baked Mushrooms with Thyme and White Wine, and Lemon Thyme Cookies. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment